More recent headlines:
“Asylum issue looms again for Gillard”
“Two new boatloads of asylum seekers prompt fresh attacks on Julia Gillard”
“Boat rush blamed on election fears”
“Refugee debate takes us back to Howard era”
“I didn’t want to be a refugee. I didn’t want to come to your country. I didn’t want to leave my family. I didn’t want to lose my house. I didn’t want to have to start again.
I am not here to get rich. I am not here to receive charity. I am not here to steal your job. I am not here to cheat the system. I am not here by choice.
I am here because otherwise I would be dead. I am here because the militia threatened to kill me and my family. I am here because I was shot. I am here because my house was burned down. I am here because I have nowhere else to go…
…I am an asylum seeker, every asylum seeker, and this is my story. I am not a ‘queue jumper’. I am not an ‘illegal arrival’. I am not a ‘political issue’.
I am a human being. Please treat me like one.” Read more at Eureka Street
- “95% of asylum seekers arriving by boat are found to be genuine refugees.
- Just 3441 asylum seekers were given refugee status in Australia last year, roughly 1% of the total migration program for that year.
- In comparison, around 50,000 people over-stayed their visa last year alone – mostly people with business, student or holiday visas
- Australia only accepts 1% of the worlds’ refugees
- At the current rate of refugee arrivals, it would take 20 years to fill the MCG
- It is not illegal to arrive in Australia seeking asylum.”
It really is time to put things into perspective. Whatever happened to a “fair go” and decent journalism. Come on, Australia.